Tuesday, October 28, 2008

getting the most from my modular

A couple of days ago I had a thought and it went something like this: my Evolver has four 16 step sequencers on it and only one will play on the vostok at a time. However because the Evolver can remember midi sequences I can program a 16 step melody and recall it when I like and the Vostok will play it... My modular's got memory.

So if my modular has memory and there are for sequencers then in theory I can save four different melodys for each one Evolver preset... that means I've got potentially four times as much memory if I wanted it.

It's not as sophisticated as say a Buchla 200e which can save all the knob settings to be recalled but knobs are meant to be tweaked anyway, I can compose and recall!

I've been tying with it and it does work though not always well. At least not with the internal sequencer. The Vostok's 8 step internal cv gate sequencer has to be re-programmed every time and I'm still working on how to accurately take notes for step sequencers. So Buchla has one more up on me in that the knob settings on an Arbitrary Function Generator can be saved in the 200e preset memory. But hey, knobs are meant to be tweaked.

No comments: