Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Canto 13: the wood of the suicides

We entered the woods
No light, black leaves, no fruit, thorns.
The Harpies nest here

Half woman, half bird
They break and chew the branches
The empty woods moan

Virgil knows my thoughts
My questions will be answered
If I snap a twig

A shout, then comes blood
The tree is bleeding, it cries
Why did you do that?

Virgil tells him I
Wouldn't have believed the truth
"Who are you?" We ask

"Pier Delle Vigne,
Frederic II's Counsel was I
Envy sealed my fate.

Liars in his court
Had me blinded and then jailed
I was innocent

Still I killed myself
Please tell my tale, and clear my name."
Pitty silenced me

Virgil asked him tell
How his soul will met judgement
The tree answered us:

"Our bodies returned
Will hang from our souls branches
Unincarnated."

Two naked men sprint
Past us chased by pack of dogs
The slower one hides

The dogs set on him
Howling, eating, man and brush
They tear him apart.

Weeping foliage
We pile the leaves 'round it's roots
He was from my town

We talk, I'm sorry
I hanged myself in my home
This has been zone 2.

No comments: