Thursday, July 9, 2009

Canto #2: Virgil and Beatrice and Divine Intercession

Canto #2

The day fades to dusk
All creation stops it’s work
I’m alone with doubt

Oh Muses help me
At war with myself I try
To tell what happened:

I sat down in fear
Who am I to walk through Hell?
I’m not a brave man

I’m not Aeneas,
and not Paul, I'm nobody
I don’t think I can.

In pity my guide
Said: “it’s human cowardice
That makes you speak so

I was sent for you
A woman named Beatrice
Braved Hell to find me

And she made the trip
At the request of Mary
And Saint Lucia

Mary pities you
These women want to see you,
I am to guide you.”

Amazed I told him
Beatrice was my first love
My heart died with her

“If this is the truth
You must follow me Dante
The way up is down.

This trip will purge you
Of the fear that holds you fast
And dims your spirit

These ladies hold you
In their hearts, such protection
Few souls ever know.”

With resolve I said
“You are my guide and teacher
And I will follow.”

I got up and walked
With Virgil through the forest
I’m still not that brave.

No comments: