Saturday, July 18, 2009

Canto 6: Gluttons, Judgement, and a prophecy

Canto 6

Freezing rain and slime
I came to among gluttons
Torn by Cerberus

Three Headed, Hell hound
The demon wolf howls, insane
We throw slime, it feasts

A shade calls to me
His name was once Ciacco
He was from my town.

He whispers something
“The whites and the blacks wage a war,
The bloodshed won't stop...

The Pope helps both sides
two men speak truth to power
but no one listens.”

Looking pale he falls
back in his own filth... eating
I ask after friends.

I'm told they're below.
As we leave Virgil tells me
About the Judgement...

When the trumpet blows
All souls return to their graves
And regain their flesh

The Harsh Arbiter
Shall read the fate of each soul
And all will hear it.

I asked my guide then,
What will it be like after
God's judgement is read?

Perfect pain and joy
All things are renewed by fire,
And tempered in coals

Our conversation
Continues as we follow
The curved walls of Hell

A wide, downward path
The enemy of mankind
Waits in Circle Four.

No comments: