Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Canto 5: Minos and the Circle of Lust

Canto 5

We descend steps from
The land of hopeless heroes
And enter worse Hell

At the circle’s edge
Minos, the judge of fresh souls
Throws them in the pit

The dark stormy void
Swallows them, hungry, ancient
To land where they should

The demon sees us
“Be careful who you trust here”
It knows I’m not dead

The warning from Hell
Is countered by my guide who
Spits back at Minos

“This trip is God’s will
And it’s no concern of yours”
As we walk past him

A dark razor wind
Bodies, battered paper cranes
The lustful curse God

Don Juan, Warren Jeffs,
Tristan and Isold, all thrown
Through storm and rubble

Two souls entwined drift
Gracefully on the updraft
Virgil calls them near

Francesca and Paul
Float closer and tell their tale
Tragic and painful

A crime of passion
Sent us here, lust for each other
A one time mistake

My husband’s brother…
He can never leave my side
The man’s silent tears

When we were found out
My husband murdered us both
He suffers deeper.

Overcome by grief
And feeling giddy, I faint
The human storm cries.

No comments: