Saturday, April 4, 2009

Further thoughts on the Serge

This is a three panel system I found using google image search


I've had a lot of time to think about this instrument and I've been researching them and I've come to a few conclusions. Despite some of the innovations which Don Buchla has brought to his instruments, most notably the ability to save knob settings on all his modules the functionality of his instruments goes only so far. The great thing about Serge is that it's function blocks are so fluid you can make it do so much more than a Buchla of equal size. Also the introductory Serge system is a fraction of the price of the entry level Buchla. For a little over 4000 dollars you can get a full Serge panel with everything you could want in a synth except a controller, but that isn't as much of a problem as you might think. Rex Probe offers a grounding kit and adaptors that allow you to plug your Serge into 1/4 inch and 1/8th inch modular systems and there are other interfaces available online as well.

Buchla also has the problem of notoriety, with fame often comes pretension and this would seem to be the case with Buchla the man, the company and the people who use his instruments. When I was still yearning for a 200e I had lots of trouble trying to get any kind of response from the users group and while Don was helpful enough Rex was twice that and much more enjoyable to talk with. It was the level of customer service as much as the flexibility of the Serge instruments which have swayed my opinion.

So that's that, I'm selling my MS-20 to raise the other half of the cost of my first Serge panel and once I've got the cash in hand I'll be mailing my checks to Sound Transform Systems.

I am also thinking about maybe taking a foray into the world of Synth DIY and replacing the 1/4inch jacks on my SQ-10 with Banana Jacks thus providing me an all analogue controller and clock source for any future Serge expansion.

No comments: