Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Thoughts on selling a vintage synthesizer

I've found myself in a particular situation. I've thought about it off and on for a few months weighing my options and while I don't like it I think I have to sell my vintage Korg stuff. I've got an MS-20 and an SQ-10. I got them for my birthday last year from my mom and I love them both, they're amongst my prized possessions actually and they form a solid corner of my studio. The problem is that I want to get further into modular synths. Specifically that Surge I've been writing about.

I wish I didn't have to choose between the two but I don't have enough money to keep both without saving for a much longer time. I put them up on Craigslist because I want to sell them locally and I've already found someone who wants the sequencer now I have to find someone who wants to buy the synth... except as I write this I feel a part of me crying out that I'm making a big mistake. I'm not ready to part with these instruments. I've only owned them a year and they were a gift which came at great expense and effort.

I think I need more time... I think I'm ging to have to take these off Craigslist. I really really really want a Serge system, I know I could make great music with one and I'm eager to learn how to use it but I don't think I'm ready to part with my synths.

writing this here is helpful it's putting things into perspective.

I'm going to pull the add and tell the guy who wants to buy my sequencer that I'm not ready to part with it yet.


This is a picture of my monster about two months after I got it. I just don't feel good about selling it.

No comments: