Tuesday, February 17, 2009

a blast from the past and other news.

My wife and I were cleaning out our craft room today because with the help of an old friend I finally got the desk over to the studio!!!

Anyway we were cleaning up in there and I was putting my zine library in order when I came across my very first copy of Inferno. It had been my mom's when she'd been in college it's a very beat up Sayers translation and it had a ten year old bus transfer in the first page. This was a treat to find and it's gone in with the rest of my Dante books, if only I had a way of being able to read my mom's hand writing. She uses this cursive that really brings the curse out in me :) anyway this thing is so beat up it's impossible to see the cover art any more and the binding is two thirds electrical tape. I don't know if I'll be able to use it much, maybe for the commentary if I'm very careful, but it was a nice thing to find.

I'm also really getting into reading about the Bohlen Pierce scale. I think that I'm going to have to get a small microtonal keyboard eventually and find a way of working it into this project. I heard from someone at the Tonal Plexus website and they said their keyboards can do Bohlen-Pierce in 13 different ways! Playing the Virus TI has been a lot of fun and very easy to program now that I'm becoming familliar with it.

I talked my wife into doing a musical experiment with me where I played guitar into the Virus on Atomizer mode and she pressed keys, this thing's got some wonderful possibilities. I can play into it and the atomizer slices up the audio and processes it in such a way that even though the keyboard isn't programmed to emit an audio signal of it's own it can harmonically effect the guitar signal. Perhaps this is hard to explain but it sounded really cool. I just wish my wife was musically inclined I think between the two of us and the instruments I've got at my disposal we could probably take on the universe.

No comments: