Saturday, February 7, 2009

Dante update Canto's 1 and 2 finished... for now

I just finished writing the paraphrase of Canto 2 and recording them both onto an old tape fourtrack I have on hand for emergencies. Emergencies like my DAW not being set up or having any of my good microphones but having the patch ready and needing to get started. I took a cigarette pack amp and used it as a rough mic preamp into the fourtrack and read both cantos in turn then played the patches I had made. It's actually the same patch only the second canto has midi sequencing so there's notes being played while in Canto number 1 it's all ambient. I'll record these into cubase one I have it set up and I am going to have to think about what it's missing because it's missing something. But it's good. The fourtrack is not so bad as a backup device and now that I've got the patch recorded to tape and ready to be put into the computer I can take it apart and do something new. I'll be doing that tomorrow I want DJ to take a picture of it all the wires are red and black and yellow and grey and the way they're tangled in wild a vertical mess it's a little bit like a sculptor's rendition of fire in the form of patch cables.

Ooh one piece of new gear I'm really keen on is this box I got out of the bargain bin at Tom Lee Music today it's a three channel signal switch. Basically it's just a metal box with a big knob on the top and four pairs of 1/4inch jacks on the front, six on them are audio in's and two of them are stereo out's and the idea is that you plug in three different stereo channels which you can select with the knob. I havn't had a chance to really try it out yet but I think this could be another way of controlling some aspects of the modular. The best part is it consumes no power! I'm not sure if I've written here about my love for all things electrically passive but seriously gear that doesn't need electricity to operate is a real godsend. I have eight channels of passive mixing goodness thanks to some discount and vintage microphone mixers and now this big switch! eeeee! (and various other sounds of excitement!)

No comments: