Monday, February 23, 2009

I just can't do it.

I can't bring myself to get a myspace account. It goes beyond just principle, I chose some years ago to avoid anything like myspace or facebook for personal reasons I won't go into here. But since finishing my second album and talking to people like Sandow Birk I've become very aware of the usefulness of myspace as a promotional tool so I started to think that maybe I could just sgn up for an account and use it to promote my music and nothing else after all I don't have to use it to meet new "friends" or blog there or anything but I just couldn't do it. I've read their terms of sevice and their privacy section is really deplorable. I would have to check a box that states that I am ok with the transfer of my personal information to the US where it would be subject to American (lack of) privacy laws and no matter how useful this site might be I just can't do it. I don't agree with their terms of service because I don't agree with the laws as they stand in the USA and I refuse to voluntarily put myself under them.
ily
This really gets under my skin because myspace is everywhere. If you are a musician and you want to promote yourself it seems these days that it's almost impossible to do it easily without myspace however I've got no choice there's nothing else out there that compares.

I'd like to use this blog in part to promote my music but I've no idea who's reading this or where and I still need to get an account somewhere that will allow me to upload tracks. I'd like to get my previous songs on here and maybe post some of the preliminary Dante work as well.

Haiku is working out well as a poetic medium, it's also solved a couple of problems I've written about here already. Because of the strict economy of language I can't easily succumb to the temptation of placing people in Hell and I don't have to agree with Dante's interpretations because as long as I include the major parts of each canto I can do it my own way. I'm up to Canto 6 now and I'm going to do Canto's 1 and 2 tonight. I'll probably re-record the narrative when I get the computer set up.

A few days ago I biked up to the studio wth a friend and unpacked a lot of the equipment then we jamed it was fun. I also started reading up on poetics and music theory. I'm itching to get my hands on something that will play in Bohlen-Pierce but first I've got to get the rest of my modular built and install the studio software. I'm dying to get this into high gear but so far I've been glad for the extra time it's allowed me to do a lot of reading and learning I had not anticipated.

No comments: