Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Haiku Dante: some previews

I've begun in earnest converting Inferno to Haiku poetry and I think it's time to post a ouple of previews.

Each Canto is written as a series of poems in the Shinru style, each Shinru functions as a stanza condensing the narrative and creating a structure for the abridged text. These are first drafts and hopefully I'll be writing Arguments to go with each Canto and put these together as works which would acompany the Divine Comedy CD's.

Below are individual Shinru from various Cantos I don't want to give away too much here.

From Canto #1
The woods woke me up
A history of fainting
I was middle aged

From Canto #3
We walked into the
Dark Terror and flies and saw
the mob Hell refused

From Canto #4
The sighs of children
sinless souls packed tight
none were born again

From Canto #5
Overcome by grief
and feeling giddy, I faint,
The human storm cries.

From Canto #7
We follow the shore
The stars say it's midnight here
A tall black tower

No comments: