Monday, February 16, 2009

So What Else have you done tonight?

Other than working on Canto 4 and being angry with Augustine of Hippo I spent some time reading about The Bohlen-Pierce Scale

The Bohlen Pierce Scale is an alternative to the standard 12 notes per octave scale that we are all used to. The videos below are not in Bohlen-Pierce but if you click here you can listen to lots of examples of music composed in this scale. I like the tracks The Stick Men, and Pam Pi Pom on that site.

This scale was discovered in the 1970's by two different Microwave Engineers, Heinz Bohlen and John Pierce, who each discovered it independently of one another about six years apart. the wikipedia article on Bohlen-Pierce is a really good starting point for anyone interested in learning more. I'm hoping to save some money and maybe get a microtonal keyboard as a compliment to my modular system, I think the strange almost alien chords in this scale could be very good for Dante's Comedy.

No comments: