Monday, February 9, 2009

setbacks and delays

I'm waiting to move the last of my equipment to the studio. I recorded Canto's 1 and 2 to fourtrack and dismantled the patch and I'm pretty much just passing time. I want to get my hands on that Virus TI I bought and just throw myself into it and I'm itching to unpack everything. Listening to Coil on Youtube and I'm beat tired but I've had to stay up late doing some work.

I don't really think I've got anything new to say I'm in a kind of limbo, which is appropriate because that's Canto 4.

One thing that I have noticed, Dante got personal with the figures of his day placing people in hell whom he thought deserved to be there. I suppose this is far from a groundbreaking observation but it's interesting to me, I'm reading a bunch of biographical info on Dante and it's placing his work in a better context, I find it's making for an interesting read when I can identify figures like Beatrice and some of those he chose to be damned as people central to his own life.

I'm not really sure that I am in agreement on his theology but then again perhaps that's a given he was writing in the 14th century and he had very different ideas about the relationship between church and empire and what exactly the role of the church should be. I think that the temptation would have been great for anyone to insert their own people into the inferno, purgatorio, and paradiso. After all who wouldn't like to put someone in hell or heaven even if only fictionally although it raises some questions for me about propriety after all who am I to presume on the state of another person's soul. And still the temptation remains... I think I should be hard pressed not to insert people like Dick Cheney or Joseph Ratzinger into Hell if only because of the things they've done (or failed to do) Just as I'd want to put Dorothy Day or Oscar Romero into Heaven and beloved family members into paradaise and purgatory but if I do I think it will be after a great deal of introspection and prayer on the matter.

my eyes are heavy I'm going to go to bed soon.

No comments: